Mar 04, 2024  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services and Facilities

Student Services and Facilities

The University of Maine provides a wide range of specialized services for its students. Some of the most widely used are listed below.

Alcohol and Drug Education Programs

Part of the Division of Student Affairs, Alcohol and Drug Education Programs provides students, the University, and the surrounding community with drug and alcohol education, resources and assessment. You can call us at (207) 581-1423 or visit us on the web at

Bodwell Center for Service and Volunteerism

The Bodwell Center for Service and Volunteerism is located in Hannibal Hamlin Hall North.  The Center is the hub for student volunteerism, service learning and much more.  Center activities include: Alternative Spring Break, Black Bear Mentors, Black Bear Exchange, Americorp VISTA and blood drives.  Contact the Center at (207) 581-3091.

Campus Activities and Student Engagement (CASE)

CASE is located on the second floor of the Memorial Union and is charged with offering student social and educational programs.  These programs are offered 5-6 nights per week during the academic year (movies, concerts, comedians, LATE nights, music and more).  CAB, the Campus Activities Board, is a student group that works closely with CASE.  Contact CASE at (207) 581-1793 or visit their site:

Campus Recreation

Campus Recreation is located in the New Balance Student Recreation Center on Hilltop Road. Campus Recreation also operates the Maine Bound Adventure Center located just northeast of the Memorial Union. Students will find everything from Intramural Sports, aerobic classes, personal training, sport clubs, childrens programs, and the latest in fitness equipment (treadmills, elipticals, weights, etc.) at the Rec Center. The climbing wall is the main feature of the Maine Bound Adventure Center which also offers exciting and cutting edge outdoor recreation opportunities. Contact Campus Recreation at (207) 581-1082 or 1794 or thier website

Career Center

Located on the third floor of the Memorial Union, the Career Center offers essential services for students as they prepare their chosen career. Resume advice, interview techniques, career fairs, and international, national and state-wide job searching is available. Speical assistance and guidance is available to students going into health and legal professions.  The  Health and Legal Professions Advising Office is part of the Career Center. This office maintains information on admission requirements of selected professional schools and application forms for standardized national exams.  The Health and Legal Professions Office is also the central location for the Health Professions Committee.  A copy of your academic records, as well as a reference file for submitted recommendations from faculty members is maintained here.  For more information, visit our website: http:/ The Career Center also offers support and career advising for students considering law school upon graduation.  For more information about pre-law options and services, visit their web site for  Contact the Career Center for a consultation or just drop in.  Contact the Career Center at (207) 581-1359 or visit their website:

Community Standards, Rights and Responsibilities

The Office of Community Standards administers and enforces the Student Conduct Code through referrals to its office from around campus. The University of Maine System Student Conduct Code contriutes to the intellectual, ethical, and physical development of students by assuring that all students are held to a common standard of behavior. The Code also protects the free and peaceful expression of ideas and assures the integrity of various academic processes. Through the use of educational interventions, CSRR works to help students develop their personal integrity and sense of community.  For additional information call (207) 581-1409 or visit our web site at

Commuter Services/Non-Traditional Student Programs (CSNTS) 

The Commuter Services/Non-Traditional Student Programs Office located in the Commuter Lounge in the Memorial Union provides personal advising, support and referral services, as well as serving as your home away from home for many non-residental and non-traditional students.  Listings for off-campus housing is also available from CSNTS.  For additional information call (207) 581-1734 or visit our web site at

The Madelyn E. and Albert D. Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center

The Madelyn E. and Albert D. Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center, located in Dunn Hall on the University of Maine campus, serves as the primary clinical demonstration and teaching site for undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Judith Stickles, M.A., CCC-SLP is the Clinical Director for the Conley Center. At the Center, faculty and graduate students provide speech, language, and audiological services to the University community and residents in the surrounding communities. UM students and their immediate family members are eligible for services at no cost during the academic year.

The Conley Center serves approximately 125 clients a year for speech/language therapy and 600+ clients per year in the audiology clinic. Clients are all ages and have varied needs, from preschoolers with speech/language delays to adults with intellectual disability and limited communication skills, adults with voice or fluency disorders, or individuals seeking assistance with English pronunciation.  The faculty supervisors and student clinicians maintain a client and family-centered approach, working closely with family members, caregivers and other service providers in the client’s life to provide comprehensive, individualized and functional services.

Evaluation and remedial services are offered on the semester (Fall, Spring) and summer calendar of the University. A Diagnostic Clinic is conducted on Friday mornings during the Fall and Spring semesters. Comprehensive audiological services are provided on a twelve month basis. Graduate students are supervised by clinical and academic faculty who hold the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Our full-time Clinical Audiologist, Amy Engler Booth, M.A. who holds the ASHA CCC in Audiology(CCC-A), supervises graduate students in audiology practicum. Two Specialty Clinics at the Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center offer clients and families additional service options.  The Stuttering Clinic and The Family-Based Treatment Clinic are coordinated and supervised by clinical and academic faculty with special clinical expertise and research interests in these areas.

For further information on services please call (207) 581-2006.

Counseling Center  and Touchstone Resources 

The Counseling Center is located in the Cutler Health Center building but is a separate operation from Cutler Health Center. The Counseling Center, part of the Division of Student Affairs, offers free and confidential counseling to UMaine students. Licensed professional counselors and psychologists are available M-F during the academic year and are also available on call 24-hrs/day. To schedule an appointment or for more information contact the Counseling Center at (207) 581-1392 or visit their web site: web pages at .

Desktop/Laptop Computing Services

The Department of Information Technologies has facilities in several locations on campus to provide computing services. More information is available at:

The IT Help Center, (17 Shibles Hall) provides walk-in, telephone and email assistance regarding the use of the FirstClass email/conferencing system, UMaineNet (residence hall network), MaineStreet UMS accounts (PeopleSoft, Wireless access, WebCT, Blackboard, Dial-Up), software applications and all operating systems.  The Help Center is also an excellent resource for the detection and removal of computing viruses and malware and with disc recovery.  The Help Center provides remote control and on-site support (house calls) for software configuration problems, software installations, network connectivity and UMaineNet setup.  Phone (207) 581-2506, or e-mail:

Public Computer Clusters - Windows and Macintosh computers are available in the Memorial Union cluster and Windows computers are available in the Fogler Library information commons. All clusters provide a wide variety of software and Internet applications, including academic-related software, Microsoft Office, FirstClass, Firefox, URSUS, and MaineStreet.  Scanners and Black/White printers are available in each cluster.  The Memorial Union cluster is open 24 hours a day during the academic year for student and staff use. You may access the lab after hours by swiping your Mainecard.  For updated listing of software and locations, please visit the IT Support website,

Collaborative Media Lab - The CML was designed to provide space specifically for high end graphics, video and audio production for the University of Maine community.  This lab contains some of the best equipment and programs needed for Multimedia, Web and Graphic Design.  The lab has video conferencing available and a relaxing lounge with a 52” flat screen monitor and surround sound for viewing your work.  The lab has a HP Banner z5200ps color laser jet printer, used for large format printing in color (posters and presentations).  There is a render farm available for large file video rendering. Please visit the CML website at or call (207) 581-4641 for more information or reservations.

Computer Repair, York Village, Bldg 6, #67, services all university-owned computer equipment, as well as computer equipment owned by staff members and students affiliated with the University of Maine. It provides warranty service on Apple, Dell and IBM computers.  Computer Repair also works on most Hewlett-Packard LaserJet-series printers.  For more information call (207) 581-2512.

UMaineNet provides students living in all UMaine residence halls with high-speed Internet connections.  For information and/or assistance, phone (207) 581-2506 or email

FirstClass is UMaine’s official communications system which provides our users with the ability to effectively communicate and share valuable resources and information via email, conferencing (public, private or courses) directories, individual and shared calendars and online chats.  Users also have the ability to build their own web pages, whether personal or course related, and to share documents and files.  For information and/or assistance, phone (207) 581-2506 or email

Instructional Workshops are offered in a hands-on computer classroom using Microsoft Office 2007 on Windows XP computers.  Schedules and registration information are posted at our website;  Workshops are also announced in the Provost/Acad Staff folder on FirstClass.  For additional information, email

Phone Service - Each residence hall room is equipped with a working telephone jack. However, students must provide their own touch-tone phone. Students living in the residence halls also have access to a Call Pilot Mailbox (voice mail).

Video Services, Room 220 Alumni Hall - Our scheduling and technology staff support modern videoconferencing room systems as well as original C and Ku band satellite communication equipment. We also manage the campus television studio, production suite and public access channel.  Media duplication services are available for CD/DVD disc formats and VHS (including foreign PAL/SECAM), S-VHS, mini-DV tape formats.  For more information call (207) 581-2577.

Audio Visual Services, room 28 Shibles Hall - Provides A.V. equipment (color TV monitors, video tape players, computer/video projection devices, overhead projectors, slide projectors, and public address systems, etc.) for classroom and department use on the UMaine campus as well as providing support for the high-tech classrooms in the Donald P. Corbett Business Building. For a complete list of equipment that can be scheduled, please call (207) 581-2500.

Disability Support Services for Students

The office of Disability Support Services facilitates the education of students with physical, emotional or learning disabilities. DSS provides a point of coordination for accommodations and special services students with disabilities need while attending the University of Maine. No qualified individual with a disability will be denied access to or participation in services or programs at UMaine. Some of the services provided or coordinated for students with disabilities include advising, special orientation to campus, alternative format textbooks, note takers, classroom relocation, classroom accommodations, as well as personal and educational counseling. Students believed to be learning disabled without documentation can be screened through this office and referred for assessment outside of the University at their own expense. For further information please contact the Director of Disability Support Services at (207) 581-2319, (TTY (207)581-2325) or visit our website at

Division of Student Affairs

Members of the Vice President and Dean of Students staff serve as advocates for students, offer them counsel and advice, and help them cut through red tape. Please call here if you’re not sure who to call.  For additional information call (207) 581-1406 or visit our web site at

Fraternity and Sorority Affairs 

Fraternity and Sorority assumes the advisory function for all recognized fraternities and sororities; develops programming to enhance personal growth, health and safety, chapter management, recruitment, new member programs, leadership, scholarship, friendship and service to the University of Maine and the surrounding communities; and serves as a resource center and focal point for all Greek-related activities and events.  For more information visit their website at or call us at (207) 581-4183.

GLBT Services

The GLBT Services serves as an on-campus resource for students, faculty and staff by working with the GLBT Allies Council, managing the Safe Zone Project and advising Wilde Stein, UMaine’s student GLBT group, and individual and group mentoring. The Rainbow Resource Center in the Memorial Union features a lending library with a collection of resource books and films available to the campus community. The Center also includes a safe and cozy space for students to read, hold meetings or relax between classes. Please call  (207) 581-1439 or visit their website

Intercollegiate Athletics

The University of Maine is an NCAA Division I institution (football is FCS), offering 17 varsity sports. Conference memberships include America East, Colonial, and Hockey East. For information call (207) 581-1052.

Multicultural Programs/Multiculural Center

The Office of Multicultural Programs is located on the third floor of the Memoral Un and provides programming, resources and support that empowers students, staff and faculty in the area of multiculturalism. The office promotes inclusiveness and diversity by creating programs which facilitate race relations and celebrate culture. For more information call (207) 581-1425 or visit our web site at


The ombudsperson for UMaine students is in the Vice President for Student Affairs’ office located on the third floor of the Memorial Union. An ombudsperson investigates disputes and mediates fair settlements, and also helps students cut through red tape. Contact the Ombudsperson at (207) 581-1406.

Off-campus Housing

Off-campus Housing assistance is available to all students and staff at the University through a listing of available living quarters in the Orono, Old Town, Bangor and Veazie areas. For more information call (207) 581-1734 or visit our off-campus web site at Life Team

Religious programming, worship, study, and conversation are provided by more than a dozen active student organizations. Chaplains and other religious representatives are available for counseling and/or instruction. For more information call (207) 581-1405 or visit our web site at

Residence Life

In all 18 of the residence halls, community is promoted. As a student living in the residence hall, staff members can help students to build relationships with other students, with faculty, and with student organizations that will help them contribute and enjoy the UMaine experience.  The staff that works in Residence Life is committed to promoting the campus experience and we invite you to build community, succeed academically, appreciate multiculturalism, participate in engaging programs, connect throughout the university, while maintaining your place in a safe and civil community. All first-year students live in the First Year Residential Experience (FYRE) where the enriched environment helps connect students to the academic and social life of UMaine.  Please visit our website at or call us at (207) 581-4801.

Office of Student Employment

The Office of Student Employment is located in Wingate Hall and offers services to students who want to work while they attend school. Whether a student was awarded Federal Work-Study or not, whether they want to work on campus or off, the Office of Student Employment is the place to start! To find employment, students are encouraged to visit the Office of Student Employment’s online job search, located at Students should contact The Office of Student Employment Monday – Friday, 10am – 4:30pm at (207) 581-1349, by email at or visit for more information.

Student Government, Inc.

The University of Maine sustains a long tradition of active, independent student government. The University is committed to active student involvement in the operation of the University, not only for the valuable perspective student government brings to the planning and decision processes, but for the unique educational opportunities it gives to participating students. University of Maine Student Government, Inc. is funded and controlled by undergraduate students with the sole purpose of benefiting students through educational, cultural and social programming. Its officers include an elected president and vice-president who appoint and coordinate a diverse administrative staff representing student needs and promoting student rights. Visit us on our web site at

The General Student Senate (GSS) is the legislative unit of Student Government, Inc. under the leadership of the vice-president and has final approval over all Student Government matters. The Student Handbook provides complete details on student government structure. The Student Handbook is available on the web at

Student Health Services

Cutler Health Center like many other non-emergency medical facilities, holds a limited number of same day appointments for urgent cases.  Same day appointments  are provided based on medical necessity and a first come basis.  Students may drop by the health center to check appointment availability (please bring insurance information with you should there be an opening at that time).  Appointments are always available for future dates/times.  The health center provides appointment based care on campus Monday-Friday and on Saturdays at EMMC Orono Family Medicine located on the Kelly Road in Orono.  To take advantage of either of these services or to reach an on-call provider after hours please contact our office at 207-581-4000.  Services include but are not limited to:  Allergy shots, lab services, minor surgery, physical exams, women’s healthcare, men’s healthcare, foreign travel medicine, immunizations, wellness consultations, x-ray and ambulance support (24/7).  In addition, consultations from a variety of medical specialists include:  Optometry, massage therapy, orthopedics and podiatry.  The health center is able to bill third party insurance, co-payment is expected at the time of service, acceptable forms of payment include cash, check, credit/debit, benefits cards and HealthCare Bucks.  For additional information and hours of operation please visit our website or First Class Folder.

Student Organizations and Leadership Development

Student Organizations and Leader Development, located in the Memorial Union, is dedicated to assisting student organizations, student leaders and organization advisors to optimize their full potential by providing resources, education and consulting assistance. Our goal is to help the 100+ student organizations, their members and advisors carry out their purpose in adding exciting, fulfilling and enriching opportunities and experiences for our students and the campus community. The Ward Leadership Center for student organizations is also located in the Memoral Union.  If you would like more information about this office or student organizations, please call (207) 581-4183 or visit our web site at

Student Publications

The award-winning student newspaper since 1875, The Maine Campus, is published Mondays and Thursdays throughout the academic school year. It is written, edited and produced entirely by University of Maine students. Its offices are located in Memorial Union. For information call (207) 581-1273 or visit the paper online at

The Maine Review is the University of Maine’s annual undergraduate literary magazine. It publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and artwork by University students. For further information contact the Review at 302 Neville Hall, by email at or on Facebook at

The Stolen Island Review is an annual literary magazine edited and published by graduate students in the Department of English. The  Review includes a wide variety of work, including poetry and fiction by the graduate community, interviews with nationally recognized writers, photography, and visual art.  Writers from outside the university also contribute.

The Tutor Program 

For complete information about the Tutor Program, contact The Tutor Program, 104 Dunn Hall, (207) 581-2351 or see College Success Programs, Division of Lifelong Learning.

University Bookstore

The University Bookstore serves the academic community by selling the books and supplies required for course work and by offering a wide selection of general books, supplies, clothing, and other merchandise and services. For more information call (207) 581-1700 or e-mail us at or check our website at

University of Maine Police Department (UMPD) 

The UMPD is the certified police department on the UMaine campus. With officers trained especially to deal with issues related to today’s college students, the University of Maine Police Department fully embraces the community policing model. Recently certified by IACLEA (International Association of College Law Enforcement Association), UMPD provides a 24-hr/day, 365 day presence on the UMaine campus. For more information about UMPD, contact their non-emergency number (207) 581-4040 or visit their web site:

Veterans Education and Transition Services (VETS)/Veterans Center

Veterans Education and Transition Services is part of the Division of Student Affairs and located on the first floor of the Memorial Union.  The office provides information and guidance to veterans and their families, certifies students to receive benefits, and supports the transition from being in the military to being on campus.  Call them at (207) 581-1316 or visit their site:

The Writing Center

The Writing Center in 402 Neville Hall is staffed by trained peer tutors who  provide feedback on written work for all University of Maine students, faculty and staff.   For more information, go to: