2008-2009 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Jul 21, 2019  
2008-2009 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Specialized Student Services and Facilities

Specialized Student Services and Facilities

The University of Maine provides a wide range of specialized services for its students. Some of the most widely used are listed below.

Alcohol and Drug Education Programs

Part of the Division of Student Affairs, Alcohol and Drug Education Programs provides students, the University, and the surrounding community with drug and alcohol education, resources and assessment. You can call us at (207) 581-1423 or visit us on the web at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs

Campus Recreation

Campus Recreation is a central student service in the Division of Student Affairs, and offers a wide variety of recreational programming.  Open Recreation is available in the gorgeous, brand-new Recreation and Fitness Center, as well as the Mahaney Dome, Wallace Pool, and Maine Bound Adventure Center. Amenities at these facilities include over 140 pieces of weight/cardio equipment, basketball courts, volleyball courts, racquetball courts, squash courts, a multi-activity court, multi-purpose group exercise rooms, a competitive lap pool, a leisure pool with spa, sauna, and vortex, an indoor turf field, an indoor track and a state-of-the-art indoor rock climbing center.  Outdoor ice skating is also available, in season. Campus Recreation offers a wide range of group fitness classes, including Yoga, Pilates, step aerobics, water fitness, and Cardio Sculpt, just to name a few. Numerous intramural sports are available for men, women and coed.  Sport clubs, which compete against teams from other universities and colleges, include Ultimate, rugby, lacrosse, hackey sack, baseball, golf, and fencing.  Campus Recreation maintains more than 20 miles of trails in the Universitys DeMeritt Forest for hiking, biking, horseback riding, snowshoeing, and skiing. Outdoor gear such as tents, skis, backpacks, climbing shoes, canoes, kayaks, and stoves are available for rental in the Recreation and Fitness Center. Sports equipment such as racquets, weight belts, and various balls are available for checkout in the Recreation and Fitness Center.  Lockers are available for rental or for complimentary day use. Maine Bound, part of Campus Recreation, offers a wealth of outdoor recreation and education opportunities. Trips, clinics and courses (credit and noncredit) are available in kayaking, canoeing, climbing, backpacking, hiking, camping, snowshoeing, skiing and more. The Maine Bound Adventure Center, located near the Maine Center for the Arts, houses a state-of-the-art indoor rock climbing tower and bouldering wall, where students and Campus Recreation members climb for FREE. Available to students through their recreation fee, and to faculty/staff and community members under the membership plans, Campus Recreation offers great selection and fitness variety. For more information, visit the Campus Recreation website http://www.umaine.edu/campusrecreation.

Career Center

The Career Center, located on the third floor of the Memorial Union, offers comprehensive career services for all students.  Services include:  career counseling, career and academic major decision-making, a career resource library, internships, resume critiquing, job search strategies, job listings, the Maine Mentor Program, outreach programming, and events such as the Engineering Job Fair and the campus-wide Career Fair.  For additional information call (207) 581-1359 or go to www.umaine.edu/career

Community Standards, Rights and Responsibilities

The Office of Community Standards administers and enforces the student conduct code. The University of Maine System Student Conduct Code seeks to promote the pursuit of activities that contribute to the intellectual, ethical, and physical development of the individual under the auspices of the University of Maine System and the individual campuses and to ensure the safety of persons engaging in those pursuits. It further seeks to protect the free and peaceful expression of ideas and to assure the integrity of various academic processes. For additional information call (207) 581-1409 or visit our web site at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

Commuter Services/Non-Traditional Student Programs Office

The Commuter Services/Non-Traditional Student Programs Office located in the Commuter Lounge in the Memorial Union provides a variety of personal advising, support and referral services, as well as serving as your home away from home.  For additional information call (207) 581-1734 or visit our web site at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

The Madelyn E. and Albert D. Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center

The Madelyn E. and Albert D. Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center, located in Dunn Hall on the University of Maine campus, serves as the primary clinical demonstration and teaching site for undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Judith Stickles, M.A., CCC-SLP is the Clinical Director for the Conley Center. At the Center, faculty and graduate students provide speech, language, and audiological services to the University community and residents in the surrounding communities. The newly renovated Center was designed as an accessible welcoming environment for clients and families. UM students and their immediate family members are eligible for services at no cost during the academic year.

The Conley Center serves approximately 125 clients a year for speech/language therapy and 600+ clients per year in the audiology clinic. Clients are all ages and have varied needs, from preschoolers with speech/language delays to adults with mental retardation and limited communication skills, adults with voice or fluency disorders, or individuals seeking assistance with English pronunciation.  The faculty supervisors and student clinicians maintain a client and family-centered approach, working closely with family members, caregivers and other service providers in the client’s life to provide comprehensive, individualized and functional services.

Evaluation and remedial services are offered on the semester (Fall, Spring) and summer calendar of the University. A Diagnostic Clinic is conducted on Friday mornings during the Fall and Spring semesters. Comprehensive audiological services are provided on a twelve month basis. Graduate students are supervised by clinical and academic faculty who hold the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Our full-time Clinical Audiologist, Amy Engler Booth, M.A. who holds the ASHA CCC in Audiology(CCC-A), supervises graduate students in audiology practicum. Two Specialty Clinics at the Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center offer clients and families additional service options.  The Stuttering Clinic and The Family-Based Treatment Clinic are coordinated and supervised by clinical and academic faculty with special clinical expertise and research interests in these areas.

For further information on services please call (207) 581-2006.

Office of First and Second Year Programs

The Office of First and Second Year Students is a supportive and directive retention program, with the intention of identifying behaviors and traits that could lead to retention or persistence issues.  While strengthening and reinforcing behaviors and traits and by establishing caring and supportive relationships early in students’ academic careers, staff members can assist students in succeeding both academically and personally. For more information call (207) 581-4217 or visit us on the Division of Student Affairs website at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

Counseling Center and Peer Education Program

The Counseling Center offers professional and confidential services to students of The University of Maine.  Services include: prevention and educational programming; group, individual and couples counseling; consultation and training to students and staff; career and academic counseling, crisis response, and psychiatric services. Counseling services are free to students taking 6 or more credits.  Students with less than 6 credits are eligible for assessment and referral, workshops, groups and consultation. 

Peer Educators receive a wide range of training on health related topics and healthy communication.  The Peer Educators gain great experience working together to provide educational workshops to peers and developing community wide programs. For additional information on either program please call (207)581-1392 or visit our web pages at www.umaine.edu/counseling and www.umaine.edu/peered.

Desktop/Laptop Computing Services

The Department of Information Technologies has facilities in several locations on campus to provide computing services. More information is available at: www.umaine.edu/it/.

The IT Help Center, (17 Shibles Hall) provides walk-in, telephone and email assistance regarding the use of the FirstClass email/conferencing system, UMaineNet (residence hall network), MaineStreet UMS accounts (PeopleSoft, Wireless access, WebCT, Blackboard, Dial-Up), software applications and all operating systems.  The Help Center is also an excellent resource for the detection and removal of computing viruses and malware and with disc recovery.  The Help Center provides remote control and on-site support (house calls) for software configuration problems, software installations, network connectivity and UMaineNet setup.  Phone (207) 581-2506, or e-mail: help_center@umit.maine.edu.

Public Computer Clusters - Windows and Macintosh computers are available in the Memorial Union cluster and Windows computers are available in the Fogler Library cluster. All clusters provide a wide variety of software and Internet applications, including academic-related software, Microsoft Office, FirstClass, Firefox, URSUS, and MaineStreet.  Scanners and Black/White printers are available in each cluster.  Also new this year in the Memorial Union cluster is a “quick print” station.  Email/web browser only Stations (eMacs) are also available in Memorial Union next to the Post Office.  For updated listing of software and locations, please visit the IT Support website, http://it.umaine.edu/support.

In addition to the clusters, the IT department staffs up to seven computer classrooms at various times during the semester, but in particular the two weeks before finals.  This includes the language lab (with headphones) in Little Hall.  For updated schedules, please visit the IT Support website, http://it.umaine.edu/support.

Collaborative Media Lab - The CML was designed to provide space specifically for high end graphics, video and audio production for the University of Maine community.  This lab contains some of the best equipment and programs needed for Multimedia, Web and Graphic Design.  The lab has video conferencing available and a relxing lounge with a 52” flat screen monitor and surround sound for viewing your work.  Also available is a HP Banner 5500ps color laser jet printer, used for large format printing in color (posters and presentations).  Please visit the CML website at http://it.umaine.edu/cml or call (207) 581-4641 for more information or reservations.

Computer Repair, York Village, Bldg 6, #67, services all university-owned computer equipment, as well as computer equipment owned by staff members and students affiliated with the University of Maine. It provides warranty service on Apple, Dell and IBM computers.  Computer Repair also works on most Hewlett-Packard LaserJet-series printers.  For more information call (207) 581-2512.

UMaineNet provides students living in all UMaine residence halls with high-speed Internet connections.  For information and/or assistance, phone (207) 581-2506 or email ITHELP@umit.maine.edu.

FirstClass is UMaine’s official communications system which provides our users with the ability to effectively communicate and share valuable resources and information via email, conferencing (public, private or courses) directories, individual and shared calendars and online chats.  Users also have the ability to build their own web pages, whether personal or course related, and to share documents and files.  For information and/or assistance, phone (207) 581-2506 or email help_center@umit.maine.edu.

Instructional Workshops are offered in a hands-on computer classroom using Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows XP computers.  Schedules and registration information are posted at our website; http://www.umaine.edu/it/forms/workshops.php.  Workshops are also announced in the Provost/Acad Staff folder on FirstClass.  For additional information, email Fran_daly-griffin@umit.maine.edu.

Phone Service- Each residence hall room is equipped with a working telephone jack. However, students must provide their own touch-tone phone. Students living in the residence halls also have access to a Meridian Mailbox (voice mail).

Video Services, Room 220 Alumni Hall - Our technical support staff assists with use of the television studio and production suite.  Programs can be scheduled to show on the cammpus cable student access channel.  We provide support to arrange videoconference events using satellite and IP network based communication equipment.  Media duplication services are available for CD/DVD disc formats and VHS (including foreign PAL/SECAM), S-VHS, mini-DV tape formats.  For more information call (207) 581-2577.

Audio Visual Services, room 28 Shibles Hall - Provides A.V. equipment (color TV monitors, video tape players, computer/video projection devices, overhead projectors, slide projectors, and public address systems, etc.) for classroom and department use on the UMaine campus as well as providing support for the high-tech classrooms in the Donald P. Corbett Business Building. For a complete list of equipment that can be scheduled, please call (207) 581-2500.

Disability Support Services for Students

The Office of Disability Support Services facilitates the education of students with physical, learning, and emotional disabilities by providing a point of coordination for accommodations and special services they may need while attending the University of Maine. No qualified individual with a disability will be denied access to or participation in services or programs at UMaine. For further information please contact the Director of Disability Support Services at telephone (207) 581-2319, TTY (207) 581-2325, or see the section on Division of Lifelong Learning - College Success Programs. http://www.umaine.edu/disability

Division of Student Affairs

Members of the Vice President and Dean of Students staff serve as advocates for students, offer them counsel and advice, and help them cut through red tape. For additional information call (207) 581-1406 or visit our web site at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

GLBT Services

The GLBT Services acts as a liaison to the Division of Student Affairs.  The Office serves as an on-campus resource for students, faculty and staff by coordinating several small discussion groups, working with the GLBT Allies Council, managing the Safe Zone Project and advising Wilde Stein, UMaines student GLBT group. The Rainbow Resource Center features a lending library with a collection of resource books and films available to the campus community. The Center also includes a cozy space for students to read, hold meetings or relax between classes. Please call us at (207) 581-1439 or visit our website www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

Greek Life Office

The Greek Life Office assumes the advisory function of providing motivation and direction for all recognized fraternities and sororities, develops programming to enhance personal growth, health and safety, chapter management, recruitment, new member programs, leadership, scholarship, friendship, and service to the University of Maine and the surrounding communities, and serves as a resource center and focal point for all Greek related activities and events.  For more information visit our website at www.umaine.edu/greek or call us at (207) 581-4183.

Health and Legal Professions Advising Office

The Health  and Legal Professions Advising Office is part of the Career Center and is located on the third floor of the Memorial Union. This office maintains information on admission requirements of selected professional schools and application forms for standardized national exams. The Health and Legal Professions Office is also the central location for the Health Professions Committee. We maintain a copy of your academic records, as well as a reference file for submitted recommendations from faculty members. For more information, visit our website at http://www.umaine.edu/healthcareers/

This office also offers support and career advising for students considering law school upon graduation.  For more information about pre-law options and services visit our website at http://www.umaine.edu/career/prelaw.html.  The phone number for the Health and Legal Professions Advising Office is (207) 581-2587.

Intercollegiate Athletics

The University of Maine is an NCAA Division I institution (football is Division I-AA), offering 19 varsity sports. Conference memberships include America East, Colonial, and Hockey East. For information call (207) 581-1052.

Multicultural Student Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Programs provides programming, resources and support that empowers students, staff and faculty in the area of multiculturalism. The office promotes inclusiveness and diversity by creating programs which facilitate race relations and celebrate culture. For more information call (207) 581-1425 or visit our web site at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

National Student Exchange (NSE)

The National Student Exchange (NSE) program offers University of Maine students a unique opportunity to enhance their academic program through study at one of over 190 North American universities within the NSE consortium in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands and Guam.  Through NSE, students may study away for a semester or academic year and earn academic credit. Program costs are comparable to UMaine tuition, fees, room and board. Federal aid recipients may apply their aid toward most NSE sites. UMaine scholarships may be used in certain circumstances. Applicants for NSE must have a 2.5 grade point average or higher. For further information contact the National Student Exchange Coordinator in the Office of International Programs in Winslow Hall at (207) 581-3433.

Off-campus Housing

Off-campus Housing assistance is available to all students and staff at the University through Commuter Services located in the Commuter Lounge in the Memorial Union.  This office maintains a listing of available living quarters in the Orono, Old Town, Bangor and Veazie areas. For more information call (207) 581-1734 or visit our off-campus web site at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

Religious Services

Religious programming, worship, study, conversation, and witness are provided by fifteen active student organizations. Chaplains and other religious representatives are available for counseling and/or instruction. For more information call (207) 581-1405 or visit our web site at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

Residence Life

In all 18 of the residence halls, we promote community. As a student living in the residence hall, staff members can help you to build relationships with other students, with faculty, and with student organizations that will help you contribute and enjoy your UMaine experience.  The staff that works in Residence Life is committed to promoting the campus experience and we invite you to build community, succeed academically, appreciate multiculturalism, participate in engaging programs, connect throughout the university, while maintaining your place in a safe and civil community. Please visit our website at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs or call us at (207) 581-4801.

Office of Student Employment

The office of Student Employment helps students find jobs both on and off-campus during the academic year and summer.  The Office is located in Wingate Hall and is open weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with expanded hours during peak seasons.  For information about jobs and to access an on-line job search, visit our website located at www.umaine.edu/studemp/. For more information call (207) 581-1349.

Student Government

The University of Maine sustains a long tradition of active, independent student government. The University is committed to active student involvement in the operation of the University, not only for the valuable perspective student government brings to the planning and decision processes, but for the unique educational opportunities it gives to participating students. University of Maine Student Government, Inc. is funded and controlled by undergraduate students with the sole purpose of benefiting students through educational, cultural and social programming. Its officers include an elected president and vice-president who appoint and coordinate a diverse administrative staff representing student needs and promoting student rights. Visit us on our web site at www2.umaine.edu/StudentGovernment.

The General Student Senate (GSS) is the legislative unit of Student Government, Inc. under the leadership of the vice-president and has final approval over all Student Government matters. The Student Handbook provides complete details on student government structure. The Student Handbook is available on the web at www.umaine.edu/handbook.

Student Health Services

Cutler Health Center offers walk-in and by appointment medical services for urgent medical problems, rehabilitation of injuries, routine health check-ups, women’s health exams, and the treatment of chronic illness. Consultations from a variety of medical specialists including eye care, orthopedics, physical therapy, podiatry, sports medicine, gynecology, and massage therapy are available at the facility. The health center has onsite X-ray, laboratory and minor surgery as well as ambulance support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  More information about our programs can be found on our web site at www.cutler.umaine.edu or call (207) 581-4179.

Student Organizations and Leadership Development

The Office for Student Organizations and Leader Development is dedicated to assisting student organizations, student leaders and organization advisors to optimize their full potential by providing resources, education and consulting assistance. Our goal is to help the 100+ student organizations, their members and advisors carry out their purpose in adding exciting, fulfilling and enriching opportunities and experiences for our students and the campus community. If you would like more information about this office or student organizations, please call (207) 581-4183 or visit our web site at www.umaine.edu/studentaffairs.

Student Publications

The award-winning student newspaper since 1875, The Maine Campus, is published Mondays and Thursdays throughout the academic school year. It is written, edited and produced entirely by University of Maine students. Its offices are located in Memorial Union. For information call (207) 581-1273 or visit the paper online at www.mainecampus.com.

The Maine Review is the University of Maine’s annual literary magazine. It publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and artwork by University students. For further information contact the English Department at (207) 581-3822.

Study Abroad

The University of Maine encourages its students to study abroad for academic credit. Study abroad leads to world awareness, cultural understanding, personal growth, independence and self-sufficiency. For those studying in another language, it can lead to language fluency. A Study Abroad experience adds depth to a résumé and can give students a competitive edge in the job market as it reflects an open and flexible outlook to life.

The University of Maine offers several options for studying abroad.  There are a number of direct exchanges with partner universities.  Direct exchanges allow UMaine students to pay tuition and fees to the University of Maine, while paying room and board costs to the host institution.  Other programs are available through UMaine’s consortium memberships or by direct enrollment, with the student responsible for payment directly to the provider or to the host school.  Many programs offer instruction in English, while others require intermediate language skills.  Some offer pre-program language immersion short-courses, in preparation for a semester or year of study in that language.  Financial aid can be used for all University-approved programs.  All areas of the world are available.

The Study Abroad program is housed within the Office of International Programs, 100 Winslow Hall; (207) 581-1509.  The office has a Resource Room and library of materials on the third floor of the Maples, next door to Winslow, and keeps materials in the International Affairs student lounge in North Stevens and at the Career Center.  For further information, contact the Office of International Programs or check the website www.umaine.edu/international/.

The Tutor Program 

For complete information about the Tutor Program, contact The Tutor Program, 104 Dunn Hall, (207) 581-2351 or see College Success Programs, Division of Lifelong Learning.

University Bookstore

The University Bookstore serves the academic community by selling the books and supplies required for course work and by offering a wide selection of general books, supplies, clothing, and other merchandise and services. For more information call (207) 581-1700 or e-mail us at UMBook@maine.edu or check our website at www.bookstore.umaine.edu.