Jul 18, 2024  
2024/25 Combined UM UMM Undergraduate Catalog 
2024/25 Combined UM UMM Undergraduate Catalog

Auxiliary Enterprises

Auxiliary Enterprises provides on-campus housing for students in residence halls at both the Orono and Machias campuses. UMaine Dining is provided by Sodexo. The Auxiliary Enterprises umbrella includes University Park for students/faculty with families, the Bookstore, Bear Necessities Shop, Parking Services, Printing and Mailing Services, Events and Hospitality, and the Children’s Center.

Housing Information and Overview

The University of Maine provides on-campus housing in 18 residence halls, ranging from 38 to 300 residents in each hall. UMaine Machias provides on-campus housing in two residence halls. Our options include traditional undergraduate residence halls for first year students and traditional and suite-style living for upperclass students.

Residence Halls

  • have double occupancy rooms with limited single occupancy rooms available
  • are smoke-free
  • Laundry is free spin in all of our halls.
  • have several living/learning lifestyle options for first year-students (see http://umaine.edu/reslife/themed for more information)
  • Suite Style (for upper class only)
  • Graduate 

Residency Requirement

Living on campus maximizes students’ opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience. Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria: (1) aged 21 or older; (2) a veteran or transfer student; (3) living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles); (4) exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet the requirement.

Please note: This requirement does not apply when campus housing is not available.

Housing Eligibility requires that all

  • undergraduate students must be at least 17 years old and matriculated
  • undergraduate students be enrolled for a minimum of nine University of Maine credit hours per semester

The Room and Board License

  • is signed by all students living on campus
  • is non-transferable and covers the entire academic year
  • is payable in two installments, one installment per semester
  • requires all residents, except Doris Twitchell Allen Village/Patch Hall to have a meal plan

Family Housing

On campus housing for students with families (spouse or partner, and/or children) may apply to live at University Park Family Housing.  For more information,  email: or visit our website at http://www.umaine.edu/housing/family-housing to download application and instructions.

University of Maine Dining

All on-campus residents are required to have a meal plan with the exception of the apartment-style housing at DTAV and Patch. Residents can choose from several meal plan options that have been developed for great value, flexibility and convenience. UMaine Dining also offers Commuter Meal Plans for those off-campus students who wish to dine on campus.  To view meal plans offered, please see our website at http://www.umaine.edu/dining.

A meal plan:

  • is required for all campus residents (except DTAV and Patch residents)
  • is effective the entire academic year
  • is payable in two installments, one installment per semester
  • change is allowed during the first six (6) weeks of each academic semester

Commuter Meal Plans

For those students living off-campus, UMaine Dining offers several meal plans designed specifically for the commuter student. The Commuter Meal Plan Application can be found at or contact University of Maine Dining at (207) 581-3463 for more information.

Black Bear Bucks

Black Bear Bucks are available to all students.  Black Bear Bucks can be purchased with cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover with a minimum deposit of $5.00. Please visit the MaineCard Online Office at https://umaine.edu/mainecard/online-card-office/.

Black Bear Bucks can be used

  • in all University of Maine Dining operations (receive a 5% discount and tax exempt)
  • in the Bookstore
  • in the library for copying
  • in most clusters for printing
  • in the Collins Center for the Arts
  • in the residence hall laundry facilities
  • at Maine Bound
  • at participating off-campus locations in the greater Bangor area (see http://www.umaine.edu/mainecard/)

Contact Information

Housing Services, Room 103 Hilltop, 5734 Hilltop, Orono, ME 04469-5734.
Phone: (207) 581-4580.  
E-mail: um.housing@maine.edu