Jul 25, 2024  
2019-2020 UMaine Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 UMaine Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Auxiliary Services

Auxiliary Services provides on-campus housing for single students in residence halls and for students with families at University Park. Auxiliary Services also operates University of Maine Dining that provides dining services for the entire campus community.

Housing Information and Overview

The University of Maine provides on-campus housing in 18 residence halls, ranging from 38 to 300 residents in each hall. Our options include traditional undergraduate residence halls for first year students; and traditional and suite style living for upperclass students.

Residence Halls

  • have double occupancy rooms with limited single occupancy rooms available
  • are smoke-free
  • have $25 per semester in laundry funds included in the room rate
  • have several living/learning lifestyle options for first year-students (see http://umaine.edu/reslife/themed for more information)
  • Suite Style (for upper class only)
  • Graduate 

Residency Requirement

Living on campus maximizes students’ opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. The University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience. Living on campus is not required for a new admitted first-year student under any of the following criteria: (1) aged 21 or older; (2) a veteran or transfer student; (3) living with a parent or legal guardian within easy commuting distance (35 miles); (4) exceptional circumstances that do not permit them to meet the requirement.

Please note: This requirement does not apply when campus housing is not available.

Housing Eligibility requires that all

  • undergraduate students must be at least 17 years old and matriculated
  • undergraduate students be enrolled for a minimum of nine University of Maine credit hours per semester

The Room and Board License

  • is signed by all students living on campus
  • is non-transferable and covers the entire academic year
  • is payable in two installments, one installment per semester
  • requires all residents, except Doris Twitchell Allen Village/Patch Hall to have a meal plan

Family Housing

On campus housing for students with families (spouse or partner, and/or children) may apply to live at University Park Family Housing.  For more information please call

(207) 581-4854; email: jkosnow@maine.edu or visit our website at http://www.umaine.edu/housing/family-housing to download application and instructions.

University of Maine Dining

All on-campus residents are required to have a meal plan with the exception of the apartment-style housing at DTAV and Patch. Residents can choose from several meal plan options that have been developed for great value, flexibility and convenience. UMaine Dining also offers Community Meal Plans for those off-campus students who wish to dine on campus.  To view meal plans offered, please see our website at http://www.umaine.edu/dining.

A meal plan:

  • is required for all campus residents (except DTAV and Patch residents)
  • is effective the entire academic year
  • is payable in two installments, one installment per semester
  • change is allowed during the first six (6) weeks of each academic semester

Commuter Meal Plans

For those students living off-campus, Black Bear Dining offers several meal plans designed specifically for the commuter student. The Community Meal Plan Application can be found at or contact University of Maine Dining at (207) 581-4576 for more information.

Black Bear Bucks

Black Bear Bucks are available to all students.  Black Bear Bucks can be purchased with cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover with a minimum deposit of $5.00.

Black Bear Bucks can be used

  • in all University of Maine Dining operations (receive a 5% discount and tax exempt)
  • in the Bookstore
  • at Cutler Health Center
  • in the library for copying
  • in most clusters for printing
  • in the Collins Center for the Arts
  • in the residence hall laundry facilities
  • at Maine Bound
  • at participating off-campus locations in the greater Bangor area (see http://www.umaine.edu/mainecard/)

Contact Information

Housing Services, Room 103 Hilltop, 5734 Hilltop, Orono, ME 04469-5734.
Phone: (207) 581-4580.  
Fax: (207) 581-3663.
E-mail: um.housing@maine.edu