May 21, 2024  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Services and Facilities

Student Services and Facilities

The University of Maine provides a wide range of specialized services for its students. Some of the most widely used are listed below.

Student Wellness Resource Center (formerly Alcohol and Drug Education Programs)

Located in Room 235 of the Memorial Union and part of the Division of Student Life, the Student Wellness Resource Center provides students, the University, and the surrounding community with drug and alcohol education, resources and assessment, general health and wellness support, and a great variety of programs and events through the peer educators program called Lead Well. You can contact the Student Wellness Center at (207) 581-1423 or visit them on the web at

Bodwell Center for Service and Volunteerism

The Bodwell Center for Service and Volunteerism is located in Room 311 of the Memorial Union.  The Center is the hub for student volunteerism, service learning and much more.  Center activities include: Alternative Spring Break, Black Bear Mentors, Black Bear Exchange, Maine Day, First Year Day of Service, AmeriCorp VISTA and blood drives.  Contact the Center at (207) 581-3091

Campus Activities and Student Engagement (CASE)

CASE is located on the second floor of the Memorial Union and is charged with offering student social and educational programs.  These programs are offered throughout the week during the academic year (movies, concerts, comedians, LATE nights, music and more).  CAB, Campus Activities Board, is a student group that works closely with CASE.  Contact CASE at (207) 581-1793 or visit their site:

Campus Recreation

Campus Recreation is located in the New Balance Student Recreation Center (NBSRC) on Hilltop Road. Campus Recreation also operates the Maine Bound Adventure Center located just northeast of the Memorial Union. Offerings include: Intramural Sports, group fitness classes, personal training, sport clubs, children’s programs, and the latest in fitness equipment (treadmills, elliptical, weights, etc.) at the NBSRC Center. The indoor climbing wall is the main feature of the Maine Bound Adventure Center which also offers exciting and cutting edge outdoor recreation opportunities. Contact Campus Recreation at (207) 581-1082 or Maine Bound at (207) 581-1794 or visit their website

Career Center

Located on the third floor of the Memorial Union, the Career Center offers essential services for students as they prepare for their chosen career. Résumé advice; interview techniques; career fairs; and international, national and state-wide job searching are available. Special assistance and guidance are available to students going into health and legal professions.  The Health and Legal Professions Advising Office is part of the Career Center and maintains information on admission requirements of selected professional schools and application forms for standardized national exams, and other useful information.  For more information, visit their web site: The Career Center also offers support and career advising for students considering law school upon graduation.  For more information about pre-law options and services, visit the web site  Contact the Career Center for a consultation or simply drop in (207) 581-1359 or visit the website: 

Community Standards, Rights and Responsibilities (CSRR)

The Office of Community Standards administers the Student Conduct Code through referrals to its office from around campus. The University of Maine System Student Conduct Code contributes to the intellectual, ethical, and physical development of students by assuring that all students are held to a common standard of behavior. The Code also protects the free and peaceful expression of ideas and assures the integrity of various academic processes. Through the use of educational interventions, CSRR works to help students develop their personal integrity and sense of community.  For additional information call (207) 581-1409 or visit the web site at

Commuter/Non-Traditional Student Programs (CNTSP) 

The Commuter/Non-Traditional Student Programs Office located in the Wade Leadership Center in the Memorial Union provides personal advising, support and referral services, as well as serving as the home-away-from-home for many non-residential and non-traditional students.  Listings for off-campus housing are also available from CNTSP.  For additional information call (207) 581-1734 or visit the web site at

The Madelyn E. and Albert D. Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center

The Madelyn E. and Albert D. Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center, located in Dunn Hall on the University of Maine campus, serves as the primary clinical demonstration and teaching site for undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Judith Stickles, M.A., CCC-SLP is the Clinical Director for the Conley Center. At the Center, faculty and graduate students provide speech, language, and audiological services to the University community and residents in the surrounding communities. UM students and their immediate family members are eligible for services at no cost during the academic year.

The Conley Center serves approximately 125 clients a year for speech/language therapy and 600+ clients per year in the audiology clinic. Clients are all ages and have varied needs, from preschoolers with speech/language delays to adults with intellectual disability and limited communication skills, adults with voice or fluency disorders, or individuals seeking assistance with English pronunciation.  The faculty supervisors and student clinicians maintain a client and family-centered approach, working closely with family members, caregivers and other service providers in the client’s life to provide comprehensive, individualized and functional services.

Evaluation and remedial services are offered on the semester (Fall, Spring) and summer calendar of the University. A Diagnostic Clinic is conducted on Friday mornings during the Fall and Spring semesters. Comprehensive audiological services are provided on a twelve month basis. Graduate students are supervised by clinical and academic faculty who hold the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) through the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Our full-time Clinical Audiologist, Amy Engler Booth, M.A. who holds the ASHA CCC in Audiology(CCC-A), supervises graduate students in audiology practicum. Two Specialty Clinics at the Conley Speech Language and Hearing Center offer clients and families additional service options.  The Stuttering Clinic and The Family-Based Treatment Clinic are coordinated and supervised by clinical and academic faculty with special clinical expertise and research interests in these areas.

For further information on services please call (207) 581-2006.

Counseling Center 

The University of Maine Counseling Center is a department in the Division of Student Life. Members of the clinical staff provide short term, confidential counseling free of charge for undergraduate students enrolled in 6 or more credits. Initial appointments during the academic year are available Monday through Thursday afternoons and students are asked to call on the morning of the day they wish to be seen to schedule an appointment. The Counseling Center is open M-F, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and is located on the Northeast side of Cutler Health Center Building (across from Gannett Hall). The Counseling Center Outreach and Education Office at 120 Memorial Union (adjacent to the ATM machines) operates the Mind Spa, a place to learn stress management skills. To learn more about Counseling Center services and to access on line resources please visit our website at:

Desktop/Laptop Computing Services

The Department of Information Technologies has facilities in several locations on campus to provide computing services. More information is available at:

The IT Help Center, (17 Shibles Hall) provides walk-in, telephone and email assistance regarding the use of the FirstClass email/conferencing system, UMaineNet (residence hall network), MaineStreet UMS accounts (PeopleSoft, Wireless access, Blackboard), software applications and all operating systems. The Help Center is also an excellent resource for the detection and removal of computing viruses and malware and with disc recovery. The Help Center provides remote control and on-site support (house calls) for software configuration problems, software installations, network connectivity and UMaineNet setup. Phone (207) 581-2506, or e-mail:

Public Computer Clusters - Windows and Macintosh computers are available in the Memorial Union cluster and Windows computers are available in the Fogler Library information commons. All clusters provide a wide variety of software and Internet applications, including academic-related software, Microsoft Office, FirstClass, Firefox, URSUS, and MaineStreet. Scanners and Black & White printers are available in each cluster. The Memorial Union cluster is open 24 hours a day during the academic year for student and staff use. You may access the lab after hours by swiping your Mainecard. For updated listing of software and locations, please visit the IT Support website:

Collaborative Media Lab - The CML was designed to provide space specifically for high-end graphics, video and audio production for the University of Maine community. This lab contains some of the best equipment and programs needed for Multimedia, Web and Graphic Design. The lab has video conferencing available and a relaxing lounge with a 52” flat screen monitor and surround sound for viewing your work. The lab has a HP Banner z5200ps color laser jet printer, used for large format printing in color (posters and presentations). There is a render farm available for large file video rendering. Please visit the CML website at or call (207) 581-4641 for more information or reservations.

UMaineNet provides students living in all UMaine residence halls with high-speed Internet connections. For information and/or assistance, phone (207) 581-2506 or email

FirstClass is UMaine’s communications system that provides our users with the ability to effectively communicate and share valuable resources and information via email, conferencing (public, private or courses) directories, individual and shared calendars and online chats. Users also have the ability to build their own web pages, whether personal or course related, and to share documents and files. For information and/or assistance, phone (207) 581-2506 or email:

Faculty Development Center provides a wide array of services to the University of Maine community, including workshops on a variety of computer products and technologies. Schedules and registration information are posted on the following website:
One-on-one assistance is also offered for any of your technological needs, as well as phone/email support at 207-581-1925,

Phone Service - Each residence hall room is equipped with a working telephone jack. However, students must provide their own touch-tone phone. Students living in the residence halls also have access to voice mail.

Video Services provides onsite and remote technical support for many public room based videoconference classrooms managed by IT. The campus community may contact IT for information how to schedule a facility, training and support resources. Courses and one-time events using Polycom and Tandberg systems are supported.
Engineering services are also available to consult, design and install digital video equipment systems. For more information call (207) 581-1609

Media Services, room 19 Shibles Hall - Provides audiovisual equipment (LCD & overhead projectors, monitors, TVs and video players, cameras & computers, microphones & P.A. systems, etc.) for classroom and department use on the UMaine campus. For a complete list of equipment that can be scheduled, please call (207) 581-2500. Media Services also provides support for the high-tech classrooms such as those in the Donald P. Corbett Business Building.

Disability Support Services for Students

The office of Disability Support Services facilitates the education of students with physical, emotional or learning disabilities. DSS provides a point of coordination for accommodations and special services students with disabilities need while attending the University of Maine. No qualified individual with a disability will be denied access to or participation in services or programs at UMaine. Some of the services provided or coordinated for students with disabilities include special orientation to campus, alternative format textbooks, note takers, classroom relocation, classroom accommodations, as well as personal and educational counseling. Students believed to be learning disabled without documentation can be screened through this office and referred for assessment outside of the University at their own expense. For further information please contact  Disability Support Services at (207) 581-2319, (TTY (207)581-2325) or visit our website at

Division of Student Life

Members of the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students staff serve as advocates for students, offer them counsel and advice, and help them cut through red tape. Please call here if you’re not sure who to call.  For additional information call (207) 581-1406 or visit the web site at

Fraternity and Sorority Affairs 

Fraternity and Sorority Affairs assumes the advisory function for all recognized social fraternities and sororities; develops programming to enhance personal growth, health and safety, chapter management, recruitment, new member programs, leadership, scholarship, friendship and service to the University of Maine and the surrounding communities; and serves as a resource center and focal point for all Greek-related activities and events.  For more information visit the website at or call them at (207) 581-4183.

LGBT Services/Rainbow Resource Center

LGBT Services serves as an on-campus resource for students, faculty and staff by working with the LGBT Allies Council, managing the Safe Zone Project and advising Wilde Stein, UMaine’s student LGBT group. The Rainbow Resource Center in the Memorial Union features a lending library with a collection of resource books and films available to the campus community. The Center also includes a safe and cozy space for students to read, hold meetings or relax between classes. Please call  (207) 581-1439 or visit the website

Intercollegiate Athletics

The University of Maine is an NCAA Division I institution (football is FCS), offering 17 varsity sports. Conference memberships include America East, Colonial, and Hockey East. For information call (207) 581-1052.

Multicultural Student Life/Multicultural Center

The Office of Multicultural Student Life is located on the third floor of the Memorial Union and provides programming, resources and support that empowers students, staff and faculty in the areas of multiculturalism. The office promotes inclusiveness and diversity by creating programs which facilitate positive race relations and celebrate culture. For more information call (207) 581-1425 or visit our web site at


The Ombudsperson for UMaine students is in the Vice President for Student Life’s office located in Room 315 of the Memorial Union. An ombudsperson investigates disputes and mediates fair settlements, and also helps students cut through red tape. Contact the Ombudsperson at (207) 581-1406.

Off-campus Housing

Off-campus housing assistance is available to all students and staff at the University through a listing of available living quarters in the Orono, Old Town, Bangor and Veazie areas. For more information call (207) 581-1734 or visit the CNTSP web site at

Religious Life Team

Religious programming, worship, study, and conversation are provided by more than a dozen active student organizations. Chaplains and other religious representatives are available for counseling and/or instruction. For more information call (207) 581-1423 or visit our web site at

Residence Life

In all 18 of the residence halls, student growth and development are promoted. Students living in the residence halls have immediate access to staff members who can help them to build relationships with other students, with faculty, and with student organizations that will  contribute to their enjoyment and satisfaction with the UMaine experience.  The staff that works in Residence Life is committed to promoting the on-campus experience; and encouraging students to build community, succeed academically, appreciate multiculturalism, participate in engaging programs, connect throughout the university, while maintaining their place in a safe and civil community. All first-year students live in the First Year Experience (FYE) where the enriched environment helps connect them to the academic and social life of UMaine.  Please visit the website at or call us at (207) 581-4801.

Office of Sexual Assault and Violence Prevention

The Office of Sexual Assault and Violence Prevention, located on the third floor of the Memorial Union, provides education support for students, advocacy and many other resources. Please contact them for more information, or to report any incidents of sexual harassment, assault, stalking, or relationship violence. For more information contact (207) 581-1406 or

Office of Student Employment

The Office of Student Employment is located in Wingate Hall and offers services to students who want to work while they attend school. Whether a student was awarded Federal Work-Study or not, whether they want to work on campus or off, the Office of Student Employment is the place to start! To find employment, students are encouraged to visit the Office of Student Employment’s online job search, located at Students should contact The Office of Student Employment Monday - Friday, 10am - 4:30pm at (207) 581-1349, by email at or visit for more information.

Student Government, Inc.

The University of Maine sustains a long tradition of active, independent student government. The University is committed to active student involvement in the operation of the University, not only for the valuable perspective student government brings to the planning and decision processes, but for the unique educational opportunities it gives to participating students. University of Maine Student Government, Inc. is funded and controlled by undergraduate students with the sole purpose of benefiting students through educational, cultural and social programming. Its officers include an elected president and vice-president who appoint and coordinate a diverse administrative staff representing student needs and promoting student rights. Visit us on the web site at

The General Student Senate (GSS) is the legislative unit of Student Government, Inc. under the leadership of the vice president and has final approval over all Student Government matters. The Student Handbook provides complete details on student government structure as well as other important information for students. The Student Handbook is available on the web at

Student Health Services

Cutler Health Center (
To meet the needs of the students at the University of Maine, Cutler Health Center offers comprehensive healthcare to the University campus community. Clinical services at Cutler Health Center are provided by Norumbega Medical Specialists, Ltd, a subsidiary of Eastern Maine Medical Center. Services offered include but are not limited to: general medical care including the treatment of acute medical problems or injuries, chronic illness, immunizations, women’s health issues, contraception, sexual health, fitness, nutrition, smoking cessation, skin cancer screening and many other health promotion programs including consultations performed by local specialists. Cutler Health Center also provides students with an on-site laboratory, massage therapy, and x-ray.

The clinical staff includes physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, consultants, wellness educator, athletic trainer, radiographer, medical assistants, practice schedulers and an insurance verification representative. Cutler Health Center’s practice schedulers provide assistance with access to care by scheduling appointments, coordinating services, and assisting with insurance company authorization for services.

All undergraduate students are welcome to use the health center for medical care. We also provide services to University of Maine employees and their dependents. Cutler Health Center is a primary care provider with physicians available to take care of your primary care needs. Review Cutler’s website for a biography of providers to help with your primary care provider selection. Please be sure to make contact with your insurance company if you choose to change your primary care provider (PCP) to one of the Cutler Health Center’s providers.

Appointments: We offer appointment-based care Monday - Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Students should arrive at the health center at least 10 to 15 minutes prior to their scheduled appointment to allow adequate time for the check-in process to be completed. An appointment can be requested by calling 207-581-4000. Students are required to register for each appointment at Cutler by providing an up-to-date mailing address, insurance information and emergency contact information.

Walk-in Care: Cutler Health Center has walk-in care hours from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Monday through Friday for acute injuries and illness. Walk-in care services are provided based on the order you arrive. You can monitor the daily wait time of the walk-in care services by downloading the Campus SideKick mobile app for both Apple and Android devices at

Online Appointment Request: Although you can always call to make an appointment, another effective way to request an appointment is through our online service, myCutler Provider Online. Our professional staff continually monitors this service to effectively meet your healthcare requests. Appointment requests are processed prior to office opening in the morning. You may complete a web visit any time of the day or night and we will provide you with recommendations or an appointment on the same day or a day in the near future depending on your web visit. Visit our website or contact our office for additional information or to enroll with myCutler Provider Online.

Appointment Cancellation Policy: (Notify Us in Advance). Students who make an appointment and cannot keep the allotted appointment time have the responsibility to call the Cutler Health Center appointment line at 207-581-4000 or send a secure message via myCutler Provider Online to our office to cancel or reschedule their appointment in advance, 24 hours prior to the scheduled appointment time.

Radiology and Laboratory services: Cutler Health Center accepts orders from all Eastern Maine Medical Center affiliated hospitals and physician practices. The order must be from an Eastern Maine Medical Center provider. Orders must provide the diagnosis and specify the phone number and office address of the physician ordering the tests.

Specialty Clinics: The specialty clinic provides campus access to a wide array of professional healthcare services. Orthopedic and podiatry consultations are offered by local physicians for easy student access and convenience. Massage therapy is available during the week for students to ease the muscle tension associated with a busy academic schedule.

Women’s Health Services: Women’s Health Services include annual exams, emergency contraception counseling, screening and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases and infections, pregnancy testing, pregnancy options counseling and referral, breast exams and self-breast exam education, birth control provisions, as well as assessment and treatment of urinary tract infections. For consultation, follow-up, and referral for a variety of women’s concerns including PMS, menopause, colposcopy, biopsy for abnormal pap evaluation call 207-581-4000.

Emergency Services: In an EMERGENCY or you require emergency pre-hospital care; please dial 911 from any phone. The University of Maine operates a state licensed volunteer ambulance service U.V.A.C. (University Volunteer Ambulance Corps). This ambulance service responds to all campus locations and operates mutually with surrounding community emergency services.

Non- Emergency Transportation Support: If it is determined you need to go to a hospital but it is not an emergency, Cutler Health Center provides “free” taxi transport to and from the hospital, urgent care center, specialist referrals and pharmacies; 7 days a week/24 hours a day (see After Hours Services). Contact 581-4000 for more information.

After Hours Service: A health care provider is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Coverage varies for each break so please check the website for details. The medical answering service is available to coordinate taxi transportation to and from the hospital, urgent care center, specialist referrals and pharmacies 7 days a week/24 hours a day. Calling 207-581-4000 when the Health Center is closed activates the service. There is no charge for the taxi service. The costs of all hospital, emergency room, medication, radiology, laboratory, non-health-center physician, and/or other services are the responsibility of the student.

Student Organizations and Leadership Development (SOLD)

Student Organizations and Leader Development, located in the Memorial Union, is dedicated to assisting student organizations, student leaders and organization advisors to optimize their full potential by providing resources, education and consulting assistance. The goal is to help the 200+ student organizations, their members and advisors carry out their purpose in adding exciting, fulfilling and enriching opportunities and experiences for UMaine students and the campus community. The Wade Leadership Center is also located in the Memorial Union. This is where many student organizations congregate.  For more information about this office or student organizations, please call (207) 581-4183 or visit the web site at

Student Publications and Media

The award-winning student newspaper since 1875, The Maine Campus, is printed once/week throughout the academic school year but is updated regularly on line. It is written, edited and produced entirely by University of Maine students. Its offices are located in Memorial Union. For information call (207) 581-1273 or visit the paper online at

The Open Field  is the University of Maine’s annual undergraduate literary magazine. It publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and artwork by University students. For further information contact the Review at 302 Neville Hall, by email at 

Ursa Literary Review is an annual literary magazine edited and published by graduate students in the Department of English. The  Review includes a wide variety of work, including poetry and fiction by the graduate community, interviews with nationally recognized writers, photography, and visual art.  Writers from outside the university also contribute.

WMEB (91.9 FM) is an independently student-run, non-profit radio station at UMaine. WMEB’s variety of music captures the essence of their DJ’s who spin their favorite unique beats. In addition, WMEB provides updates on local news, talk shows, interviews, and live music performances. The station is located on the ground floor of the Memorial Union.

The Tutor Program 

For complete information about the Tutor Program, contact The Tutor Program, 104 Dunn Hall, (207) 581-2351 or see College Success Programs at

University Bookstore

The University Bookstore serves the academic community by selling the books and supplies required for course work and by offering a wide selection of general books, supplies, clothing, and other merchandise and services. For more information call (207) 581-1700 or e-mail us at or check our website at

University of Maine Police Department (UMPD) 

The UMPD is the certified police department on the UMaine campus. With officers trained especially to deal with issues related to today’s college students, the University of Maine Police Department fully embraces the community policing model. Recently certified by IACLEA (International Association of College Law Enforcement Association), UMPD provides a 24-hr/day, 365 day presence on the UMaine campus. For more information about UMPD, contact their non-emergency number (207) 581-4040 or visit their web site:

Veterans Education and Transition Services (VETS)/Veterans Center

Veterans Education and Transition Services is part of the Division of Student Life and located on the first floor of the Memorial Union.  The center provides information and guidance to veterans and their families, certifies students to receive benefits, and supports the transition from being in the military to being on campus.  Call them at (207) 581-1316 or visit their site:

The Writing Center

The Writing Center in 402 Neville Hall is staffed by trained peer tutors who  provide feedback on written work for all University of Maine students, faculty and staff.   For more information, go to: