May 21, 2024  
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog 
2011-2012 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Auxiliary Services

Auxiliary Services provides on-campus housing for single students in residence halls and for students with families at University Park. Auxiliary Services also operates Black Bear Dining that provides dining services for the entire campus community.

Housing Information and Overview

The University of Maine provides on-campus housing in 18 residence halls, ranging from 38 to 300 residents in each hall. Our options include traditional undergraduate residence halls for first year students; and traditional and suite style living for upper-class students.

Residence Halls

  • have double occupancy rooms with limited single occupancy rooms available
  • are smoke-free
  • have several living/learning lifestyle options for first year-students 
  1. Honors
  2. Community Engagement (students who are interested in community service)
  3. Outdoor Adventure (students who want to experience the outdoors)
  4. Quiet Study S-Cubed (Support for Science Students)
  5. The Well (Personal Wellness)
  6. Suite Style (for upper class only)
  7. Graduate 

Residency Requirement

Living on campus maximizes students’ opportunities for social, cultural and extra-curricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. Because the University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience, living on campus is required for all newly admitted first-year students who

  • are aged 20 or younger
  • do not live within easy commuting distance (30 miles)
  • do not have exceptional circumstances that prevent this option 

Housing Eligibility requires that all

  • undergraduate students be matriculated
  • undergraduate students be enrolled for a minimum of nine University of Maine credit hoursper semester

The Room and Board License

  • is signed by all students living on campus
  • is non-transferable and covers the entire academic year
  • is payable in two installments, one installment per semester
  • requires all residents, except Doris Twitchell Allen Village/Patch Hall to have a meal plan

Family Housing

On campus housing for students with families (spouse or partner, and/or children) may apply to live at University Park Family Housing.  For more information please call

(207) 581-4444; email: or visit our website at to download application and instructions.

Black Bear Dining

All on-campus residents are required to have a meal plan with the exception of the apartment-style housing at DTAV and Patch. Residents can choose from several meal plan options that have been developed for great value, flexibility and convenience. Black Bear Dining also offers Community Meal Plans for those off-campus students who wish to dine on campus. To view meal plans offered, please see our website at

A meal plan:

  • is required for all campus residents (except DTAV and Patch residents)
  • is effective the entire academic year
  • is payable in two installments, one installment per semester
  • change is allowed during the first six (6) weeks of each academic semester

Commuter Meal Plans

For those students living off-campus, Black Bear Dining offers several meal plans designed specifically for the commuter student. The Community Meal Plan Contract can be found at or contact Black Bear Dining at (207) 581-3463 for more information.

Black Bear Bucks

Black Bear Bucks are available to all students.  Black Bear Bucks can be purchased with cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover with a minimum deposit of $5.00.

Black Bear Bucks can be used

  • in all Black Bear Dining operations (receive a 5% discount and tax exempt)
  • in the Bookstore
  • at Cutler Health Center
  • in the library for copying
  • in most clusters for printing
  • in the Collins Center for the Arts
  • in the residence hall laundry facilities
  • at MaineBound
  • at participating off-campus locations in the greater Bangor area (see

Contact Information

Black Bear Dining and Housing Services, 5734 Hilltop Commons, Suite 103, Orono, ME 04469-5734. Phone: (207) 581-3463.   Fax: (207) 581-4714.

E-mail or visit