May 22, 2024  
2007-2008 Undergraduate Catalog 
2007-2008 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Auxiliary Services

Auxiliary Services

Auxiliary Services provides on-campus housing for single students and students with families, as well as dining services to the campus community.

Dining Services

Resident Meal Plan

Residence hall students may choose from a variety of meal plan options - Traditional meal plans which include the 19-plus, 14-plus, 10-plus, and 7-plus; and three semester block plans: the 200-plus meal plan, the 175-plus meal plan and the 150-plus meal plan. Each plan has, in addition to dining commons access, a value of Dining Funds (the “plus”) associated with them for the semester. Per semester Dining Fund values are as follows:

Traditional Plans
19-plus   $50 available to all residence hall students
14-plus   $100 available to all residence hall students
10-plus   $250 available to upperclass students only
  7-plus   $500 available to upperclass students only

Semester Block Plans - (Upper Class Students ONLY)
200-plus   $100
175-plus   $125
150-plus   $150

Dining Funds can be used in any of the dining commons and Retail Operations, including EastSide and SouthSide Markets, Oakes Room Café, Athletic Concessions, The Bear’s Den, the BB2 and the Maine Marketplace. The traditional resident meal plans (19-plus, 14-plus, 10-plus, and 7-plus) also include three guest meal passes per semester.  Dinning funds expire June 30th.

Commuter Meal Plans

For those students living off campus, Black Bear Dining offers a series of meal plans designed specifically for the commuter student. Contact the MaineCard Office at (207) 581-2273 for more information.

Black Bear Bucks

Black Bear Bucks are available to all students and staff. Black Bear Bucks can be purchased with cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover with a minimum deposit of $5.00. You can use your Black Bear Bucks in all Black Bear Dining operations (where you will receive a 5% discount AND are tax exempt), the Bookstore, copying in the library, printing in most clusters, MCA, residence hall laundry and MaineBound.  Black Bear Bucks may be used at participating off-campus locations in the greater Bangor area.

For more information about on-campus dining options for both the resident or non-resident student, contact the Black Bear Dining Office at (207) 581-4580 or e-mail

Housing Services

The University of Maine has 18 residence facilities, ranging in size from 38 to 300 residents. Double rooms and a limited numbers of single rooms are available in most halls. Lifestyle options include: all smoke-free residence halls; a chem-free residence hall, and campus wide quiet hours every day, from 9 pm to 7 am the next morning, Sunday night through Friday morning; and every night at 11 pm to 8 am, starting Friday night through Sunday morning.  Students are asked to not only support these hours as times for academic progess, but also to honor requests from any student at any time if the noise level is preventing them from studying, sleeping, or other activities.  Several residence halls also have clusters of students in related living/learning lifestyle communities including programs in agricultural sciences, general science, engineering, outdoor adventure, social equality, service learning and Honors College. Continuous housing throughout the academic year is offered in some (14 halls are closed) residence halls. For more information on housing services, contact (207) 581-4580 or email:

Family Housing

Family housing is available at University Park. Call (207) 581-4580 or e-mail: or visit our web site at:


Though each hall’s architectural style varies, common features are: study lounges; recreational areas; laundry facilities; and vending areas. Residents share single-gender bathroom facilities located on each section. Each double room is furnished with two twin beds, two dressers, two desks with chairs, and many have bookcases. In addition, voice, video, and data jacks in each room give students access to technologically advanced services including local phone service, voice mail, cable channels, and Internet access.

Eligibility for Housing

To be eligible to reside on campus:

  • Students must be matriculated and enrolled for a minimum of nine University of Maine credits at the time an assignment is finalized and throughout each semester.
  • Any undergraduate who, during the semester, changes enrollment status and is registered for fewer than nine credits must contact Housing Services to request an exception to continue to live in the residence halls.  Without an approved eligibility exception a student is not eligible for housing. The Housing Assignments Coordinator may make exceptions to the eligibility requirement on a case-by-case basis.
  • Graduate students must be matriculated and enrolled in University of Maine coursework during each semester.

Residency Requirement

Living on campus maximizes students’ opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. Because the University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience, living on campus is required for all newly admitted first-year students who are:

  1. Aged 20 or younger
  2. Do not live within easy commuting distance
  3. Do not have exceptional circumstances that prevent this option.

All students living on campus sign a room and board license, which requires them to live on campus for the academic year as long as they remain registered students. To be eligible to live on campus, undergraduate students must be matriculated and enrolled for a minimum of nine University of Maine credit hours at the beginning of each semester.

Contact Information:

Auxiliary Services, Housing and Dining Services, 5734 Hilltop Commons, Orono, ME 04469-5734. Phone: (207) 581-4580. Fax: (207) 581-4714. E-mail:  Website: