OVERVIEW OF DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum number of credits required to graduate: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA required to graduate: 2.0
Minimum number of credits required to complete the major: 27
Minimum Grade requirements for courses to count toward major: At least a “C” in either ENG 201, or ENG 315, or ENG 317; at least a “C-” in a statistics course; at least a “C” in each of the Core Requirements except for SOC 101.
Other GPA requirements to graduate: Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in the courses in the major field that are credited toward the major.
Required Course(s) for fulfilling Capstone Experience: SOC 499 or six credits of SOC 493 or successful completion of an Honors College thesis
Courses satisfying the writing intensive requirement within the major: SOC 390
Residency Requirement: At least 15 credits of UM Courses (excluding SOC 101)
Contact Information: Amy Blackstone, Chair, 201A Fernald Hall, 581-2392, email@example.com
The requirements listed on this page are specific to this particular major. Students are also responsible for meeting any graduation requirements set out by their college. Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) should make sure to review those requirements as stated on the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences page of the catalog.
For more information about our undergraduate and graduate programs, program learning outcomes, internships, special resources and programs, and research and career opportunities, see our web site at https://umaine.edu/sociology/.
Information about the Sociology major
- Core requirements for a Sociology major (12 credits): SOC 101 , SOC 390 , SOC 460 , SOC 499 .
- Sociology Electives (15 credits:) Six of the 15 credits must be 300 or 400-level Sociology courses. SOC 219 may not be taken as an elective.
- One of the following courses must be passed with a grade of “C” or better: ENG 201 , ENG 315 , ENG 317 .
- One of the following statistic courses must be passed with a grade of “C-” or better: STS 215 , STS 232 , PSY 241 , SOC 219 .
- All Core Requirements (except SOC 101) must be successfully completed with a grade of “C” or better.
- Sociology majors who complete an Honors College thesis are not required to take SOC 499-Senior Seminar. If they choose not to take this course, they instead must take a substitute upper-level Sociology elective to ensure that they graduate with at least 27 Sociology credits. This requirement of a substitute course shall take effect for students entering the university Fall 2017.