OVERVIEW OF DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum number of credits required to graduate: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA required to graduate: 2.0
Minimum number of credits required to complete the major: 36
Minimum Grade requirements for courses to count toward major: A “C” or better is required in all History (HTY) courses.
Other GPA requirements to graduate: Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better in the courses in the major field that are credited toward the major.
Required Course(s) for fulfilling Capstone Experience: HTY 498
Courses satisfying the writing intensive requirement within the major: HTY 311 and HTY 498
Department Residency Requirement: At least 18 credits must be earned from the History Department at the University of Maine
Contact Information: Stephen M. Miller, Chair, Department of History, 255 Stevens Hall, 581-1923 or Wendy Morrill , Administrative Assistant II, Department of History, 255 Stevens, 581-1908
The requirements listed on this page are specific to this particular major. Students are also responsible for meeting any graduation requirements set out by their college. Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) should make sure to review those requirements as stated on the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences page of the catalog.
For more information about our undergraduate and graduate programs, program learning outcomes, internships, special resources and programs, and research and career opportunities, see our web site at https://umaine.edu/history/ .
Information about the History major
Majors must complete at least twelve three-credit courses in history, including:
- At least 2 courses (1 must be upper level) from each of the following groups:
- United States history
- European history
- The history of areas outside Europe and the United States or history with either a worldwide or a topical focus. Only one Canadian course may count.
- Complete a minimum of twelve three-credit history courses, with a grade of “C” or better including:
- Six intermediate/advanced level courses. (These include HTY 240, HTY 241, HTY 279, and all 3xx or higher). (No more than two of the above 200 level courses may be counted as intermediate/advanced courses).
- HTY 311, normally taken during the student’s junior year.
- At least four additional courses at any level, to make up the minimum of 12.
- First and Second Year students are required to take HTY 130.
- HTY 498, normally taken during the student’s final undergraduate year.