OVERVIEW OF DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum number of credits required to graduate: 120
Minimum Cumulative GPA required to graduate: 2.00
Other GPA requirements to graduate: 2.00 GPA in program requirements
UMM’s location is ideal for courses related to marine biology, ecology, and mariculture. Students have direct access to inter-tidal and sub-tidal marine habitats and organisms, finfish and shellfish aquaculture sites and hatcheries, and commercial fishing ports. This access to marine environments gives UMM students unique field and laboratory experiences. All students in the Marine Biology major are required to complete 82-85 credits of program requirements.
- To provide a rich and rigorous undergraduate experience in marine biology that focuses on the biological, social, and historic uniqueness of our geographic setting.
- To provide students an opportunity to enhance their analytical and communication skills through independent study or senior thesis.
- To provide students with access to mariculture or other marine-based industries to enhance their competitive advantage in the job market.
- To prepare students to think critically at all junctures of their academic and work-related careers.
- To provide rigorous training for students planning to further their education in professional studies or graduate school.
All University Core Requirements must be met, in addition to the program requirements. Note that completion of some courses within the major, such as mathematics, will also fulfill Core requirements. Students must earn a minimum of 120 credits and achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00.
A minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.00 in the program requirements is necessary for graduation. This GPA must be achieved by the completion of a total of 60 credits. If the student fails to maintain this average in subsequent semesters, a warning may be issued. The student may lose matriculated status if the average remains below 2.0 after the completion of another 12 credits. A student may petition to be readmitted to the program.