Jul 17, 2018
OVERVIEW OF DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum number of credits required to earn minor: 18
GPA requirements to earn minor: None.
Minimum Grade requirements for courses to count toward minor: A grade of C- or better is required for courses applied to the minor.
Other requirements: A minimum of 6 credit hours must be completed at the University of Maine.
Contact Information: Naomi Jacobs, Interim Director of the Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program, 581-1225 and Elizabeth Neiman, WGS Minor Advisor, 581-1228.
The minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, approved in 1989, has been used to enhance a wide variety of majors in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (including a major in Physics). Students from programs in other colleges have also chosen the WGS minor; the most common combinations are with Human Development and Family Studies, Social Work, Nursing, and the Bachelor of University Studies.
Required Course: (3 credits)
At least six of the eighteen credits must be at the 300 level or higher.
Electives: (15 credits)
Electives may be taken from among the courses listed below, additional approved courses, internships, independent study courses, or courses taken at other universities in the U.S. or abroad.
- WGS 103 - Introduction to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies Credits: 3
- WGS 201 - Topics in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Credits: 3
- WGS 230 - Women, Health, and the Environment Credits: 3
- WGS 235 - Franco American Women's Experience Credits: 3
- WGS 250 - Women and Music Credits: 3
- WGS 270 - Native American Women Credits: 3
- WGS 301 - Intermediate Topics in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Credits: 3
- WGS 340 - Transnational Feminisms Credits: 3
- WGS 360 - Feminism and Cinema Credits: 3
- WGS 371 - Immigration, Women and Society Credits: 3
- WGS 401 - Advanced Topics in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Credits: 3
- WGS 410 - Feminist, Gender and Queer Theory Credits: 3
- WGS 451 - Women's Sexuality Credits: 3
- WGS 480 - Senior Seminar in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Credits: 3
- WGS - 510 Advanced Studies in Feminist, Gender, and Queer Theory Credits: 3
- WGS - 580 Feminist Pedagogy and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Practicum
- ANT 245 - Sex and Gender in Cross-Cultural Perspective Credits: 3
- CHF 351 - Human Sexuality Credits: 3
- CHF 451 - Family Relationships Credits: 3
- CHF 452 - Violence in the Family Credits: 3
- CLA 201 - Women in the Ancient World Credits: 3
- CLA 401 - Amazons: Myth and Reality Credits: 3
- ENG 246 - American Women's Literature Credits: 3
- ENG 256 - British Women's Literature Credits: 3
- ENG 471 - Literature, Gender, and Gender Theory Credits: 3
- ENG 549 - Studies in Gender and Literature Credits: 3
- HTY 332 - Womanhood in America Credits: 3
- HTY 494 - Women, History and American Society: Selected Topics Credits: 3
- MES 350 - Maine Women Credits: 3
- PAX 401 - Women Social Activists: Warriors for Peace and Justice Credits: 3
- SOC 329 - Sociology of Gender Credits: 3
A topics course or directed reading in another discipline may be approved as an elective if it contains sustained, systematic study and discussion of issues related to Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Listed below are a few examples from the past:
- ARH 270 Topics in Art History: Women Artists
- CHF 404 Selected Topics in Child Development and Family Life: Conflict and Violence in Intimate Relationships
- ENG 429 Topics in Literature: Mothers and Fathers of the Novel
- SWK 330 Contemporary Issues in Diversity and Pluralism
Contact the WGS minor advisor for approval of a relevant elective not listed above.