OVERVIEW OF DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
Minimum number of credits required to graduate: 136
Minimum Cumulative GPA required to graduate: None.
Minimum Grade requirements for courses to count toward major: A “C-” or better is required in all music courses required for the major, including electives taken to meet the music requirements. Any student who receives a semester grade lower than “C-” for applied lessons is automatically dropped from the program and must re-audition for re-admission.
Other GPA requirements to graduate: None.
Contact Information: Beth Wiemann, Chair, Class of 1944 Hall, 581-1244
This is a four-year professional degree for students who intend to make music a career either as a public school teacher or supervisor of music. The degree provides for many professional opportunities and serves also as preparation for graduate study in music. Upon satisfactory completion of the music education course of study, the student is certified to teach music at both the elementary and secondary levels. A half hour recital is required in the junior year. All students elect an instrumental concentration or a vocal concentration, however, a double concentration (instrumental/vocal) is available, to be noted on student’s transcript, for B.M. Education majors. All music education students must pass a piano proficiency examination before graduation. All students in the music education degree must successfully complete a comprehensive methods proficiency exam before the student teaching capstone experience.
Bachelor of Music in Music Education Ensemble Requirements
(8 credits required):
- Five credits in any large instrumental ensemble-credit in both the marching and jazz areas is strongly recommended.
- Two credits in any vocal or instrumental ensemble—small ensemble credit is strongly recommended.
- One credit in a large vocal ensemble.
- Five credits in University Singers, Oratorio Society or Collegiate Chorale.
- Two credits in any vocal or instrumental ensemble– small ensemble credit is strongly recommended.
- One credit in a large instrumental ensemble or lab band, MUE 403.
Follow requirements for either Vocal or Instrumental concentration.
Piano concentration: Vocal Track: Follow requirements for Vocal concentration. Piano concentration: Instrumental Track: Follow requirements for Instrumental concentration. See Music Division Undergraduate Handbook for a list of large and small ensembles.