Sep 25, 2023  
2006-2007 Undergraduate Catalog 
2006-2007 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Credit

Procedures for Transfer of Academic Credit

Board of Trustees policy provides the maximum opportunity for transfer within the University of Maine System. To effect successful transfer experiences for UMS students, the following transfer practices are endorsed and followed by University of Maine System institutions.


  1. Generally, course grades do not transfer from institution to institution. Semester and cumulative grade point averages reflect only those courses taken at the home institution. Exceptions to this policy are approved by the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. Students in external degree programs and/or taking courses at distant sites and centers should inquire about any exceptions with may apply.
  2. Grades of C- or better in courses taken within the University of Maine System and accepted for transfer credit will be recorded on the student’s transcript although not computed into the cumulative grade point average.
  3. All undergraduate courses successfully completed with a C- or better at one University of Maine System institution will transfer to another.
  4. Each student must meet the established requirements of the academic program or college into which s/he is transferring. Transfer credits do not necessarily count toward such requirements.
  5. Transfer students must consult the individual institution catalog to determine requirements regarding the number of degree credits that must be taken through the degree-granting institution.
  6. Transferring students will be expected to provide official transcripts reflecting all previous postsecondary coursework.
  7. Each accepted transfer student will receive a written evaluation of transfer credit. The transfer student should then meet with program faculty/advisors at the receiving institution to review how the transfer credit will be applied.
  8. Course credit will be transferred only for coursework delivered by regionally accredited institutions, through AP or CLEP, or through life experience (i.e. prior learning or other learning such as military training, etc.) when validated through the approved campus processes.
  9. Course credit from international institutions will be accepted for transfer consistent with established institutional policies.
  10. If a student disagrees with a decision made in regard to the transfer of his/her credits from one institution to another, the student may appeal through the regular academic appeals process at the receiving institution.

Transfer Policy

The University of Maine is committed to accepting as much transfer credit as possible and endorses the University of Maine System Transfer Principles. Transfer students normally must complete the equivalent of the senior year at the University of Maine to be eligible for a UMaine degree. This normally means that the final 30 credits needed to complete the degree must be in University of Maine courses. An academic department may require that some minimum number of courses be completed within that department to earn a University of Maine degree in that discipline. These departmental residency requirements are noted in the description of each academic program elsewhere in this catalog.

Applicants must arrange for official college transcripts to be forwarded from previously attended colleges and universities to the Office of Admission, 5713 Chadbourne Hall, Orono ME 04469. This applies to students transferring within the University of Maine System as well as to students transferring from outside the system. Student copies of academic transcripts are not accepted as official documents. Veterans must submit a transcript of Military Studies for possible transfer credit, Form DD295.

Current UMaine students should send transcripts of courses completed elsewhere to the Office of Student Records, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME 04469.

The University of Maine accepts academic work completed with grades of “C-” or better at regionally accredited institutions of higher education towards meeting the requirements of a UMaine baccalaureate degree. The dean’s office of the college to which the student is applying completes the official evaluation of transfer credit after admission to the university. Approved candidates will receive an evaluation shortly after their acceptance. Transfer credit evaluations are usually not performed for non-degree students.

All students are also required to pass English 101 or an approved equivalent with a grade of C or better, and to complete UMaine’s general education requirements. Transferred courses that have direct UMaine equivalents fulfill the same general education categories as their UMaine counterparts, except for “writing intensive” courses. Students may request approval of transferred courses for meeting the writing intensive requirement by submitting course materials (usually a syllabus) documenting the portion of the grade based on writing, and the opportunity to rewrite assignments. Transferred courses that do not have exact UMaine equivalents, but are accepted for elective credit, may meet general education requirements. The determination will be made by the dean’s office of the appropriate UMaine college. If the course title and description are insufficient to make the determination, the dean’s office will request further materials from the student.

Departments offering the comparable courses at the University of Maine make the decisions about the course equivalency of transferred courses. Exceptions to equivalencies (different equivalents, waivers of curricular requirements based on transfer credit, or limitations on transfer credit applied to degree requirements) may be allowed and recorded at the college or department level, but will not appear on the official evaluation or University of Maine transcript.  The Office of Student Records maintains a transfer equivalency database of courses that are offered at other institutions that are transferable to the University of Maine.

Credit From Within the University of Maine System:
Normally all credit earned with C- grades at any University of Maine System institution, including through distance education, is accepted by the University of Maine. A few exceptions do exist, usually because a particular course is not applicable to any UMaine program of study. Grades and grade point averages do not transfer. Semester and cumulative grade point averages reflect only those courses taken at the home institution. Credit earned with lower than “C” grades may need to be repeated (as with ENG 101) or counted as elective courses.

Credit from Regionally Accredited Institutions:
Credit from regionally accredited institutions with a letter grade of “C-” or above is usually accepted by all UMaine colleges. A few exceptions do exist, usually because a particular course is not applicable to any UMaine program of study. Correspondence and distance education courses are treated equally with traditional classroom courses. Credit earned with a “C-” grade (as with ENG 101) may need to be repeated or used as an elective. Grades and grade point averages do not transfer. Official transcripts are required from each institution attended.

Credit from International Institutions:
The University of Maine accepts credit from international institutions, both for international students and for domestic students participating in study abroad programs. The University of Maine awards credit to students who have earned the International Baccalaureate diploma and scored 5, 6, or 7 on the higher level examinations. Credit is granted through each dean’s office. Grades and GPA do not transfer. Official transcripts and World Education Services (WES) translations of non-English originals are required.

Prior Learning Credit:
Matriculated University of Maine students may be awarded credit for prior learning for subjects that are comparable or equivalent to UMaine courses. Academic departments decide individually whether or not to accept requests for prior learning credit. Students wishing to request credit for prior learning should consult their dean’s office. Prior learning credit is evaluated through either an exam or portfolio review. The available exams are offered through the Office of Student Academic Services, reached at (207) 581-2320. There is a $125 fee for each exam. Portfolio review is initiated through the student’s dean’s office. There is a $50 fee for an initial review of a portfolio plus an additional $75 fee for each credit hour awarded from an analysis of the portfolio. No more than 15 credit hours can be earned through portfolio review.

Some Sources of Prior Learning Credit:
Credit from institutions lacking regional accreditation: Submit an official transcript and as much other documentation as possible, such as course descriptions and syllabi to the college office. Students may be required to validate their learning through exam, for which a fee will be assessed.

Credit by national examination: CLEP and AP tests are most widely recognized (for UMaine policy regarding these tests, see the Admission section of this catalog). Other tests may also be recognized (DANTES, PEP, etc.). If you have already taken the test, submit an official score report and as much information about the test as possible. If you are contemplating testing, please contact the Division of Student Academic Services. Such exams may not be allowed to substitute for certain courses in the academic major.

Credit for military experience or corporate training programs: Normally will be allowed according to the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) and National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI). Credit allowed in this way normally counts for elective credit only.