Mar 24, 2023  
2003-2004 Undergraduate Catalog 
2003-2004 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Auxiliary Services

Student Auxiliary Services

Student Auxiliary Services provides on-campus housing for single students and students with families, as well as dining services to the campus community.

Dining Services

Residence hall students may choose from eight meal plan options - the Premium Black Bear Plan, traditional meal plans 19-plus, 14-plus, 10-plus, 7-plus; and three semester block plans: the 200-plus meal plan, the 175-plus meal plan and the 150-plus meal plan. Each plan has, in addition to dining commons access, a value of Dining Funds associated with them for the semester. Per semester Dining Fund values are as follows:

Premium Black Bear Plan   $50

Traditional Plans
19-plus   $50
14-plus   $100
10-plus   $250
   7-plus   $500

Semester Block Plans
200-plus   $100
175-plus   $125
150-plus   $150

Dining Funds can be used in any of the four dining commons and Retail Operations, including M.C. Fernald, Hilltop or SouthSide Markets, Oakes Room Café, and the Maine Marketplace located on campus. The traditional resident meal plans (19-plus, 14-plus, 10-plus, and 7-plus) also include three guest meal passes per semester.

Commuter Meal Plans

For those students living off campus, Dining Services offers a series of meal plans designed specifically for the commuter student. Contact the MaineCard Office at (207) 581-2273 for more information.

Campus Funds

Campus Funds are available to all students and staff. Campus and Staff Funds can be purchased with cash, check, Visa, MasterCard or Discover with a minimum deposit of $5.00. You can use your Campus Funds in all Dining Services operations (where you will receive a 5% discount), the Bookstore, and Maine Bound.

For more information about on-campus dining options for both the resident or non-resident student, contact the Dining Services Office at (207) 581-4706 or e-mail

Housing Services

The University of Maine has 20 residence facilities, ranging in size from 38 to 270 residents. Double and single rooms (on a limited basis) are available in most halls. Lifestyle options include: smoke-free residence halls; a number of non-smoking sections in other halls; and sections of chem-free housing. Several residence halls also have clusters of students in related academic programs including science, engineering and Honors College. Continuous housing throughout the academic year is offered in most residence halls. For more information on housing services, contact (207) 581-4580 or email: Virtual tours of residence halls are available at

Family Housing

Family housing is available at University Park. Call (207) 581-4579 or e-mail: for more information.


Though each hall’s architectural style varies, common features are: study lounges; recreational area; laundry facilities; and vending areas. Residents share single-sex bathroom facilities located on each section. Each double room is furnished with two twin beds, two dressers, two desks with chairs, and one or two bookcases. In addition, voice, video, and data jacks in each room give students access to technologically advanced services including phone, voice mail, cable TV services and computer networking.

Eligibility for Housing

To be eligible to reside on campus:

  • matriculated and enrolled for a minimum of nine University of Maine credits at the beginning of each semester.
  • Any undergraduate who, during the semester, changes enrollment status and is registered for fewer that nine credits must submit an eligibility exception request for continued eligibility for housing. Without an approved eligibility exception a student is not eligible for housing. The Director or Assistant Director of Housing Services may make exceptions to the eligibility requirement on a case-by-case basis.
  • Graduate students must be matriculated and enrolled in University of Maine coursework at the beginning of each semester.

Residency Requirement

Living on campus maximizes students’ opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree. Because the University of Maine believes that residence hall living is an educational opportunity that all new students should experience, living on campus is required for all newly admitted first-year students who are:

  1. Aged 20 or younger
  2. Do not live within easy commuting distance
  3. Do not have exceptional circumstances that prevent this option.

All students living on campus sign a room and board license, which requires them to live on campus for the academic year as long as they remain registered students. To be eligible to live on campus, undergraduate students must be matriculated and enrolled for a minimum of nine University of Maine credit hours at the beginning of each semester.

Contact Information:

Student Auxiliary Services, 5734 Hilltop Commons, Orono, ME 04469-5734. Phone: (207) 581-4580 (housing services) or (207) 581-4706 (dining services). Fax: (207) 581-4714. E-mail: or Website: